(c) 2005

If there is any justice in this world, someday we might know what really happened to Air Force Col. Philip M. Shue of Boerne, Tex. on the last day of his life, April 16, 2003.

The highly-respected staff psychiatrist at Wilford Hall Medical Center in San Antonio was last seen alive when he left home early that morning to go to work. Within a few hours, his body would be found in the wreck of his smashed automobile on Interstate 10 just a few miles from where he started.

While the 26-year Air Force veteran died from injuries sustained in the crash, his body bore marks of a ritualistic-type torture.  A knife or sharp instrument had been used to slice into his torso and one nipple was actually removed!  Another bizarre twist, was "ripped apart" duct tape that had been wound around the officer's boot tops and wrists.

It seemed the colonel had been abducted somewhere between his home and work and bound hand and foot while someone tortured him.  How he got free of them to get behind the wheel of his car and erratically drive down the Intersate in his tan, four-door 1995 Mercury Tracer for any distance at all remains a mystery.  As does most aspects of this very troubling case.


To their eternal shame, the Air Force quickly wrote off Col. Shue's death as a "suicide," despite the facts that pointed to outside participation. The popular colonel had no history of suicidal tendencies, in fact, his reputation and character indicated he would be the last person to do himself harm.

The ugliest secret in the U.S. military is more than a few such deaths are routinely labeled "suicide" as a cover-up to spare the authorities from having to look for real perpetrators.  How much simpler it is to just label it a self-inflicted death and hope the matter will soon be forgotten.

Local law enforcement officials were no better than the Air Force.  It was a dream come true for whoever sought to harm the colonel and torture him before he died from loss of blood.  With the "authorities" blowing off the death as a "suicide," there was no danger of a real probe to find out what actually happened.  And when no one in law enforcement wants to look for the killers, they - and whoever hired them to do what they did -  get off scot-free.

Or do they?


There's no such thing as a "perfect" crime.  Sooner or later, some mistake is made and the conspiracy comes unravelled like a ball of string. 

Trained investigators always should keep in mind two things: Never rule out any suspect from the start and always "follow the money trail."  In the case of Col. Shue, he was literally worth "millions of dollars" - dead.

His ex-wife held a $1 million life insurance policy on him, while his present wife had even more coming, a $1.5 million payout, plus $250,000 in Serviceman's Group Life Insurance. does not mean to infer either woman had a hand in what happened to the colonel that April day in 2003.  We don't know. But obviously, there were lots of "little green reasons" to see him dead. 

What was the motive to "torture" and make the colonel physically suffer excruciating pain prior to his death?  Why not just "order up a hit" on him and reap the benefits?  That would be much simpler and less expensive.  We feel whoever is behind the bizarre death of the much-beloved officer, wanted him to go through great agony before he died.  It would take an evil and cruel person to do that, someone enraged at the victim and wanting to get some sort of revenge.

The question is, what could have precipitated such a heinous act?  Perhaps there is someone out there with a clue.  Some bit of information, perhaps seemingly unimportant, but very crucial indeed, in the light of the whole picture.  Col. Shue met his death in Texas, specifically the Boerne-San Antonio area.  Therefore, we appeal to our many readers in that part of the Lone Star State, as well as elsewhere, to contact us immediately with anything they might know or remember.  E-mail us at  Your identity will be kept confidential.

We are opening a new probe into the case, looking at it from every possible angle.  We have "followed the money-trail" and discovered other disconcerting information that causes us to take a "new," fresh look at this case.  Rest assured we will never lose sight of our goal: to clear Col. Shue's name from the unfair stigma of being officially labeled a "suicide" by the Air Force, and never stopping until those who conspired to torture and kill him are found and punished.